Friday, December 14, 2012

December 14, 2012 - Deployment so far

So far, things have been going well on this deployment. It took some traveling, but I finally made it to my country of destination.

When I got here, I was able to get settled fairly quickly. Some people complain about the food here, but I like it. Honestly, I think it is about the same as the food I had in Basic Training or AIT. I work in a tent, but I'm sure that is not a surprise to anyone.

The chaplain and his assistant have been a big help. They have things set up in their office so that everyone can take whatever they need. The basics are all there and they also have some other cool things which most would consider luxuries. From what I hear, we have had visits from chaplains of various faiths.

I have been able to keep in touch with my family fairly well since I have been here.
As you can see, the care packages have started rolling in for Christmas. The first one shown here with the stockings and the two hats was sent by my wife. Notice the "Jayne Hat" based on the one from Firefly.

She made the Christmas hat and large stocking special for me. The stocking has a place for a nametape.


Then, she made a stocking for each of my roommates and stuffed it full of some cool things. (A sampling of things from my stocking/package.) I am going to surprise them at Christmas.


This package was sent by some family members. It has some really cool things in it. The hand sanitizer is going into my work area soon.

 
This package was sent by a friend who is  veteran. She knew pretty much what would be useful. She sent extra so that I could share (so did everyone else). I like the blanket. It is coming in handy.


 I'm sure I'll have other things to talk about later, but for now, things are going well.

No comments: